- This event has passed.
The Biological Horta to market: from design to final consumer
8 December, 2018 at 9:30 - 9 December, 2018 at 18:00
This course aims to provide participants with an overview and the necessary skills to implement and manage small / medium scale gardens to the market. In addition to be based on seven years of learning and development of the project Quinta do Alecrim, It is freely inspired by the movements promoted by authors / farmers like Jean Martin Frontier, Curtis Stone, Richard Perkings and also Ernst Gotsh, but with a great deal of creativity and adaptation to the Portuguese context.
The small-scale farming when properly planned and managed, It has great potential to generate income able to boost the local economy, set people to the field and regenerate soils and ecosystems.
Like this, We discuss the practical principles, from choosing the most appropriate place, the home garden design, technologies and adequate facilities. The need for planning a rotation cultures, polycultures adoption and introduction of trees and other biomass sources. Still, We discuss aspects of management that are essential to maintain and thrive in horticulture.
All contents are fundamentally based on the case of Quinta do Alecrim and also promote an active conversation and context of the characteristics and dynamics of the Ecovillage gardens of Janas.
Contents / Program:
- Reception for participants
- philosophical aspects: The need to cultivate a ecoliteracia
- Introduction and context of the small garden to the market (world and Portugal)
- Case study 1: Quinta do Alecrim
- practical design and implementation aspects
- practical activity: visit to the gardens of the Ecovillage to Janas and a chat around the many tools and technologies available to the small farmer.
- practical aspects (Fertilization, acquisition, or production of plants, solo, Herbs management, problems cultures, harvesting and storage and planning cultures)
- Management and promotion (baskets system, markets, cooperatives)
- Case study 2: Quinta do Luzio (Ecoaldeia de Janas)
- Session after lunch: acessoria and presentation and discussion of ideas (invitation to interested parties to bring their case studies, projects, doubts, for discussion and brainstorming about other case studies).
All those who have the ambition to become professional horticulture, in the process of investing in agriculture for a living or professionals looking to diversify alternatives.
Foramador| Denis Hickel | Farmer and beekeeper
PhD in Ecological Design Thinking, Degree in architecture, beekeeper at the hands of Harald Hafner farmer and self-taught.
There is 7 years ahead of Quinta do Alecrim managing a garden to the market which is currently transitioning to an agroforestry system for the same purpose, inspired by studies with Ernst Gotsch.
Dedicated yet, to provide advice, design and implementation of agro-ecological systems.
Cancellation and Refund Policy